An HVAC system is an important component in any home. It helps keeps your house cool and warm when needed. No feeling beats that of going into a cool room when the weather outside is scorching hot or a cozy and warm room on a chilly evening. The way your HVAC is installed determines how effective the system will be. It’s important that you get only professional AC installers to do the job so that you get superior installation alongside comprehensive maintenance agreements. However, even with powerful systems and proper installation, HVAC systems are not completely foolproof. At some point, they may develop some faults that may call for simple repairs or replacements altogether. Choosing between repairs and replacement is, however, not an easy task. A lot of factors come into play, such as the severity of the problem.
The following is a description of scenarios to help you determine when you need a repair and when a replacement is the best option.
When to Replace Your HVAC System
A replacement is costly, and sometimes it is taken as the last option when all else has failed. If you have tried doing an AC repair several times, maybe it is time to consider the following signs of an AC that needs replacement.
- HVAC age – The HVAC age is a great determinant of whether to replace or just repair it. If your HVAC is more than 10 years old, you are better off replacing it because an HVAC generally has a life expectancy of 10-15 years.
- Rising energy bills – If you realize that your energy bill keeps increasing each month, call professionals to inspect your AC. There’s a high chance the AC is too old or faulty beyond repair, and the only option is a replacement.
- Frequent repairs with high costs – If your HVAC system keeps undergoing regular repairs, just get another one altogether. The frequent repairs may cost you much more in the end.
- Trouble keeping up with the heat or cold outside – Just like any other machine, the HVAC can also lose efficiency with time. When this happens, replacement is inevitable.
When to Repair Your HVAC System
- Damaged compressor – If the problem is just a damaged compressor, you can simply do repairs for an AC compressor.
- Dirty filter – If your repair professional diagnoses a clogged filter, this does not need replacement. You can simply have it repaired, and your AC will be up and running.
- Worn contactor – If the HVAC contactors are worn out, the HVAC system may not start properly. However, this is not enough reason to replace it. Simple repairs of the contactors will do.
Whether to repair or replace an HVAC system depends on your HVAC’s specific condition. However, you should not make the decision on your own. Call a professional to diagnose the problem and advise you on what to do. At Cool Air Mechanical, we take pride in the provision of heating, cooling, and ventilation services throughout the greater Atlanta area. Contact us today for AC maintenance in Cumming, GA.