One of the biggest mysteries surrounding heating systems in Brookhaven homes is why the air filter gets dirty so fast. Are you a homeowner who feels like you’re constantly changing your HVAC filter? If so, you’re probably looking to solve this mystery ASAP. The good news is that it’s no mystery at all. There are a few reasons why your home’s air filter isn’t staying clean for as long as you want it to. Keep reading to learn how to fix this problem today.
Air Filter Replacement
No one wants to spend money on home heating repair in Brookhaven, especially when the problem could have been prevented in the first place. When you have a dirty air filter, it puts unnecessary strain on the heating and cooling system. Over time, this causes mechanical parts to fail and you end up needing heating unit repair in Brookhaven.
Your air filter might seem like it gets dirty really fast, but are you changing it as often as you should? Air filters should be replaced every 30-90 days depending on the type of air filter you use. The following are the most common type of air filters and their lifespans:
- Fiberglass: This is a very popular air filter found in many HVAC systems throughout the country. The filter is made from woven fibers and requires replacement every 30 days.
- Pleated: These filters are made from paper or polyester material. If you have this filter in your HVAC system, plan on replacing it every 3-6 months.
- Electrostatic: These filters are less common, and they don’t need replacing. What they do need is regular washing or vacuuming. Expect to do once every month.
One of the easiest ways to make sure you’re changing your filter on time is to set yourself a reminder. People often feel like their filters get unusually dirty faster than normal because they lose track of time. You might think you replaced the filter last month, but it was really 3 months ago. Setting a reminder helps you stay on top of this task and helps you avoid emergency heating services in Brookhaven.
Other Reasons Your Air Filter Gets Dirty Faster
Losing track of time isn’t the only reason your filter is getting dirtier faster. If you’re strict about replacing the filter, other issues might be at play. These include things such as the following:
- You keep the fan to the HVAC unit set to “ON” instead of “AUTO.” When the fan continuously runs, it picks up more dirt.
- You have a lot of pets or an exceptionally furry cat or dog. The more animal hair and dander in a home, the faster your filter gets dirty. Have your pet groomed regularly and brush out their fur outside to reduce the amount getting into your air in the home.
- You have dirty air ducts. When dirt and dander builds up in the air ducts, it’s going to back up into the filter. Have your air ducts cleaned every few years to prevent this from happening. However, if you have lots of pets, entertain guests regularly, or smoke in the home, consider yearly duct cleaning services.
No one wants heating replacement in Brookhaven before it’s absolutely necessary. Keeping your air filter clean and changing it regularly keeps your HVAC system running better for longer. If you have questions about air filters or other HVAC issues, contact Cool Air Mechanical today!