Is it time to replace your heating system? If your heating and ventilation system isn’t working as well as it has in the past, you might be in a position where you’re trying to decide between repair and replacement. This is a tough decision to make because you don’t want to spend money in the wrong areas. When you’re faced with this decision, it’s important to look at both sides of the question. Below is some helpful information from the experts in HVAC in Midtown, GA.
Yes, replacing an HVAC unit is an expense. Many people consider HVAC replacement in Midtown, GA, a waste of money if they can get away with cheaper repairs. Well, below are some reasons to consider the benefits of replacement:
- Age of unit: Heating systems that are older than 10 that have repair costs that meet or exceed 50% of the unit’s value aren’t worth repairing. Most people find that they save by installing a new system because they get a better and more efficient system. While you pay more upfront to install the new unit, you end up saving money over in the long-term by cutting your utility costs.
- Tax incentives: Installing a high-efficiency heating system could make you eligible for tax breaks. Not only might you qualify for a tax break on state and federal taxes, but some utility companies give their customers a rebate when they replace an old HVAC system. In some cases, you might qualify for as much as $1000 in rebates. Check with your tax advisor and your home utility providers to learn more about what you qualify for.
- Better air quality: Older heating systems, whether they’re experiencing problems or not, could affect the air quality in your home. Newer systems do a much better job filtering pollutants from the air, maintaining a constant temperature and keeping humidity levels in check. If you have people in your home who suffer from respiratory problems, replacing an old HVAC system could improve their symptoms.
- Save time and money: If you’re constantly calling for HVAC repair in Midtown, GA, taking the plunge and replacing the entire unit will save you wasted time waiting around for service calls and the associated expenses with these calls.
It sounds like there’s a lot of good reasons to consider replacing worn-out HVAC units, but there are times when you don’t want to go the replacement route. Check out the times when making a repair is a better solution.
- New systems: Did you recently install a new system that’s giving you problems? If your unit is only a few years old, repair makes more financial sense. The unit is still under warranty and your out-of-pocket costs are minimal.
- You’re getting ready to move: This is a tricky situation. Yes, replacing an old heater with a new system adds value to the home, but is it really necessary? Speak with your real estate agent to figure out what gives you the best value.
- Maintenance issues: The majority of problems with middle-aged HVAC units is that they have been properly maintained. Regular HVAC maintenance in Midtown should take care of minor problems.
- Ductwork problems: Sometimes the issue isn’t with the heater, but the duct. You might need HVAC duct replacement in Midtown instead.
If you’re struggling with the repair vs. replacement decision, contact Cool Air Mechanical to learn more about repair and HVAC replacement in Midtown, GA.