When you turn on your air conditioning system, all of the cool air circulated in your home has to travel through a series of ducts. While most homeowners don’t give this system of ducts a second thought, it is actually a critical part of your comfort. Any issues with your ducts can have a serious impact on your home’s comfort and on your home’s efficiency. If you need any kind of duct or air conditioning repair in Atlanta, just call Cool Air Mechanical. Check out our quick explanation of how damaged ducts can impact your home’s air conditioning system.
Over the years your ducts can actually experience quite a lot of wear and tear. Here are a few common things that can cause your ducts to be damaged.
- Poor installation – Probably the most common cause of duct repair is bad installation. If your ducts weren’t properly secured they can rub or chafe against a ceiling joist or brace which can wear holes into the ducts.
- Insects and rodents – Mice, rats, ants, cockroaches and other pests can be incredibly damaging to your home’s ductwork. After you have an exterminator take care of your pest problem, you should have an HVAC professional clean and examine your ductwork.
How to Tell If You Need Duct Repair
In most homes the ductwork is installed in the ceilings or under the floor which makes it difficult to tell if there are any problems with it. But there are still a few ways that you can tell if you need duct repair:
- Hot or cold spots – If you notice that only certain parts of your house are getting cool air from your AC it could mean that there are holes and leaks in your ducts and you need them sealed.
- Noises – Do you hear whistling, rattling, rumbling or any noises coming from your ducts? It could mean that you have cracks in your ductwork.
- Inefficient operation – Keep an eye on your air conditioning bills. If you notice a sudden spike in your utility bill and your AC unit is functioning normally, you might have have a problem with your air ducts.